5 ways to encourage youth in Total Member Involvement
1. Encourage youth to develop a personal relationship with Jesus through daily time in the Word, time in prayer, and through active witnessing and evangelism. Show them by example what true faith, authentic Christianity, and discipleship look like. Encourage them to seek higher ideals for God’s honor and glory.
2. Encourage youth to be creative as they seek to follow biblical principles by finding ways to be part of Total Member Involvement. Ellen White writes, “Never, never feel the slightest disturbance because the Lord is raising up youth to lift and carry the heavier burdens and proclaim the message of truth.” Remember, youth are not inhibited by the same limitations that we often are as adults. Because of this, they dream big, pray big, and plan big!
3. While we mentor our young people, do not try to control them too tightly or hold them back from moving forward with producing good biblical fruit (Matt. 7:17, Phil. 4:8). As we get closer to the end of time, God will use simple means, which we do not expect, to accomplish His great purposes. Let us not discourage our youth as they seek to do great things for God.
4. Look for active ways to encourage youth in their many different endeavors to be involved and lead out. Get them involved in making decisions, leading out in evangelism and preaching, and rallying the support of their fellow youth in sharing the gospel. Ellen White tells us, “Make [the youth] feel that they are expected to do something. The Lord chooses them because they are strong.” We underestimate what godly young people can accomplish for God’s glory.
5. Finally, pray with youth and encourage them to pray for one another and their churches. Ask them to pray that those who have left the church can be reclaimed, unbelievers would find the truth, and the proclamation of the three angels’ messages can go forward, opening the way for the outpouring of the latter rain. “With such an army of workers as our youth, rightly trained, might furnish, how soon the message of a crucified, risen, and soon-coming Saviour might be carried to the whole world!” Let’s get ready! Jesus is coming soon! —
Ted N. C. Wilson, PhD, is the president of the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists.
Ministry reserves the right to approve, disapprove, and delete comments at our discretion and will not be able to respond to inquiries about these comments. Please ensure that your words are respectful, courteous, and relevant.comments powered by Disqus