THIRTY-SIX ministers, evangelists, Bible teachers, administrators, doctors, editors, and laymen from ten countries (United States, Puerto Rico, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Oki nawa, Germany, Britain, and Bermuda) participated in the fourth Bible Lands study tour sponsored by the SDA Theo logical Seminary. Following the tradition of the earlier tours of 1957, 1959, and 1966, the 1975 tour also combined on-site lectures by Dr. Siegfried H. Horn with guided visits to all the important sites of Biblical interest in Iran, Iraq, Egypt, Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, and Israel. . .
EACH YEAR The Ministry provides its readers with a brief review of the most recent books in the field of Biblical archeology, history, and geography. Last month we began a review of significant works published during 1973 and 1974. We continue with books dealing with specific geographical areas. . .
EACH YEAR The Ministry provides its readers with a brief review of the most recent books in the field of Biblical archeology, history, and geography. The last such review appeared in the March, 1974, issue but covered only those books published in 1972. This review covers significant works published in the two years since that time during 1973 and 1974. . .
THOSE who desire to keep abreast of new developments in archeology may be interested in a brief report of the annual meeting of the Society of Biblical Literature and its progeny, the American Schools of Oriental Research, both of which met in Washington, D.C., October 24-27, 1974. . .
THE MARCH, 1973, Ministry carried a similar review of books published in 1971. It was so well received at that time that the author has again provided us with brief introductions to the most significant scholarly books in the field of Biblical archeology produced since that time. Depending on a minister's individual interests, each of the books reviewed is a suitable addition to his general library. . .
ANDREWS UNIVERSITY sponsored the third season of excavations at Tell Hesban in Jordan from June 20 to August 15, 1973, with a staff of 57 and about 120 local workmen. The American Schools of Oriental Research (ASOR), which has done more for the progress of Biblical archeology than any other institution, and Calvin Theological Seminary, in Grand Rapids, Michigan, provided both financial support and key staff members. . .
THE Biblical evidence considered last month indicated that the high place was a cultic installation borrowed initially from the Canaanites but frequented through out the history of Israel—both in the service of Yahweh as well as in the service of the deities of the surrounding peoples. Its typical features included standing stones (massebot), memorial stones, altars for sacrifice and burning incense, cult objects symbolizing 'Asherah (the mother goddess of Canaan), along with several other types of images. . .